Wednesday 9 August 2017

REVIEW: ELEVENTH HOUR BY ELIN GREGORY

I've been a bit lax in the reading department of late. Something to do with my glamorous assistant having stolen my Kindle for her own use after she dropped her tablet! I will confess that I purchased the book I'm about to review a little while ago and, although I'd read the first few pages, I only picked it up again yesterday when my Kindle was returned! Deep joy! So, here we go....

BLURB:

Borrowed from the Secret Intelligence Service cipher department to assist Briers Allerdale - a field agent returning to 1920s London with news of a dangerous anarchist plot - Miles Siward moves into a 'couples only' boarding house, posing as Allerdale’s 'wife'. Miles relishes the opportunity to allow his alter ego, Millie, to spread her wings but if Miles wants the other agent’s respect he can never betray how much he enjoys being Millie nor how attractive he finds Allerdale.

Pursuing a ruthless enemy who wants to throw Europe back into the horrors of the Great War, Briers and Miles are helped and hindered by nosy landladies, water board officials, suave gentlemen representing foreign powers and their own increasing attraction to each other.

Will they catch their quarry? Will they find love? Could they hope for both?

The clock is ticking.


REVIEW: 

I don't usually do historicals, but loved the premise of this and am a fan of Elin's anyway so thought I'd give it a go.

I was gripped from the first few pages. The world building was exquisite. It was like being inside an Agatha Christie mystery! 


Briers and Siward were beautifully drawn and the plot believable. Even the secondary characters were marvellous, all interwoven in the story, and some playing bigger parts than others. I think I even shouted out a couple of times, which wasn't good 'cause I was in bed and it was after midnight! 

I loved every word and couldn't put it down. Bravo Ms Gregory, bravo! Could we dare to hope that we'll hear more from our two boys?

Highly recommended read.

BUY LINK: Amazon.com

                      Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment